Sunday 13 June 2010

10. Day 6 . 13th June . Shrewsbury to Crosby .

Antony Gormley statues on Crosby beach .


Bootle station



Woodside ferry crossing



Sunny start from Shrewsbury. B5476 to Wem and Whitchurch. The bloke Dave, had said that the way through Warrington was OK but looking at the jungle of roads to the north made me go back to my original plan for crossing the Mersey at Birkenhead. I therefore opted for the A41 for Chester. Mostly a decent road with a strip at the side.

After Chester it started to rain heavily. Approaching Birkenhead the road got steadily worse and I took to the sidewalk wherever possible. The birkenhead bypass had a two mile section of contraflow with no provision for cycles. I had a queue of cars behind me and I pulled in to let them pass - it was pouring down - this was the challenge part kicking in :) Anyway I made it to the ferry and felt I was experiencing a little bit of history. Got chatting to two girls on cycles who told me the way to Crosby.
In Crosby I went to 9 Elton Avenue Blundellsands where Martin the german bloke stayed in 1999 . The B&B was still there .
Got the train to Bootle to find an eating place . Found a Wetherspoons and had Spag bol - a special birthday treat :-) This was not enough and I ordered Chilli noodles .

Stats for today:
Distance 71 miles
Max Speed: 30 mph
Total Distance so far: 450 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment