Saturday 12 June 2010

9. Day 5. 12th June. Tintern to Shrewsbury

Hereford Countryside .



Corn field with poppies .






Slow start due to hilly exit out of Monmouth - possibly because I chose to go on the A466 rather than the A40 .
Also felt a little jaded . Possibly the lack of sleep is telling - have been sleeping badly ever since Monday .
The day started sunny but cold . Later things warmed up and I put sun screen on the back of my neck but forgot about the knees . In the evening it looked like I was wearing red stockings .
Kept on the A49 and it was mostly ok with a white line border .
At one point my water bottles were almost empty and as I passed a beautiful little cottage decided to knock on the door . The gentleman who came to the door said he was happy to fill the bottles and then enquired whether a wanted a cup of tea . I accepted and his wife then offered a bewildering variety of different types of tea - I settled for an Earl Grey . She also insisted that I take some cereal bars . On leaving , they gave me £5 towards the fund . Their names were Diana and John .
Coming into Shrewbury , saw a young man and woman looking into a field . When I drew level I could see that the attraction was a corn field with a mass of red Poppies . After a brief chat , the young man whose name was Andrew Clarke donated £20 to the fund .
Managed to find a nice B&B .
Distance 84miles

2 comments:

  1. There seem to be a lot of nice people out there.
    You are doing really really well Eugen
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from Almaty (Kazakhstan)!

    Just watched Switzerland beating Spain on the big screen outside in the Intercontinental tennis club bar.

    I am a bit tired too, due to the jet lag and a 3 hour delay on the flight that got me in on Tuesday morning at 4.00 am . My B&B is probably better than yours but you seem to be doing ok.

    It is great to be able to follow your progress from anywhere in the world - we take the technology for granted but it is amazing.

    Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete