Thursday 24 June 2010

18. Day 14. 21st June. Wick to John O'Groats




Made an early start for the last 18m .


A dreigh morning but no rain . Had expected an easy run , but there were still some long hills to climb . A desolate lanscape, though still a few habitations scattered about .


Finally arrived at my goal . Nothing like as touristy as its southern equivalent , but not as sparse as I had expected. There is an impressive building - once a hotel - which will soon be restored .
Total distance 1053m .


Got the official photo taken and then celebrated with a cream slice and cup of tea .


On return to Wick, booked my overnight train from Inverness to Euston.


Had some time to spend , so went looking for a suitable lunch venue . I leant the bike against a lamp-post and got talking to a 'Wicker' - they have an irish type accent . I then went into the nearby cafe and sat at the window so's to keep an eye on the bike . Whilst tucking into my haggis lunch , noticed a couple of likely lads cruising around the bike - and then standing outside the cafe looking at the menu - obscuring my view of the bike . I was vigilant , but secure in the knowledge that I had locked the bike to the lamp post . At one point a third accomplice had a close look at the bike while the other two were looking at the outside price list .


Eventually they cleared off and I was able to finish my lunch .


Left the cafe and went to unlock the bike - it was not chained to the lamp-post! In talking to the Wicker , I forgot to lock it . What had put the likely lads off nicking the bike was that the spiral wire looked as though it was going throught the rear wheel .

Total distance 1053m .


Arrived back in Bognor at about 11am 22nd june .

No comments:

Post a Comment